University Club at Queen's, Inc

[photo of the University Club]

The University Club is an on-campus event and conference venue open to the public for socializing, dining, and hosting events, with no membership required.

Founded in 1949 as the Faculty Club, it originally operated from the Students' Memorial Union (now the John Deutsch University Centre). In 1969, the club moved to its current waterfront location at 168 Stuart Street after a large addition was constructed at the rear of the historic building to accommodate its ;growing operations.

The main part of this house was built in 1845 by prominent Kingston architect William Coverdale as a country home for a wealthy Kingstonian, the Rev William Macauley Herchmer, who called it St Lawrence Cottage. A later owner substantially altered the building in 1934, creating its present exterior appearance and room layout.

In 1994, following a trend among similar university clubs across Canada, the Faculty Club was renamed the University Club at Queen's, Inc. At the same time, membership eligibility was expanded to include all full-time Queen's staff, in addition to faculty members.

In 2024, the University Club at Queen's, Inc. was dissolved, and responsibility for its operations was transferred to Queen's Housing and Ancillary Services.